In our effort to produce delicious wines that taste of the grape and their site, this wine humbly delivers just that. This is the second vintage of producing a Syrah _sans soufre_, a wine inspired by some of our favorite producers in Cornas, with a decidedly SLO Coast personality. Vibrant, crunchy, and juicy; this wine retains its coastal signature through partial whole cluster fermentation by native yeasts, neutral French oak _elevage_, bottling without fining or filtration, and no added sulfites. Nothing added, nothing taken away.
We aim to craft wines of purity and freshness. Above all they should always be delicious. While we are not dogmatic, we try to adhere to the following guidelines when possible.
- Whole cluster inclusion of varying percentages for aromatic complexity, freshness, and structure
- Minimal use of sulfur and vinification without sulfites lead towards competition between different yeasts and bacteria
- Gentle extraction by _pigeage_ (foot treading!) to release juice from the berries without breaking the seeds and stems
- Ageing the wine on healthy lees for protection from oxygen and to promote a smooth, seamless mouthfeel
- Maturation in neutral oak barrels to showcase the great vineyards we work with
- Bottling without fining or filtration to not remove anything from the wine. Plus, if we have done our job well then these steps are unnecessary