1600 Bottles Produced
Varieties: Sumoll (70%) and Macabeu (30%)
Vineyard: 100 years old complanted vines on clay and limestone
Cellar: Spontaneous co-fermentation with two days skin maceration. The wine is aged in terracotta amphorae and bottled without fining, filtration, or sulfur addition.
Personality: This rare bird achieves two with one strike: easy to drink rosé that also shows the true essence of Sumoll.
- Location: [The hills of Font-Rubí, Penedes, Catalonia, Spain](https://www.google.com/maps/place/08736+Font-rub%C3%AD,+Barcelona,+Spainemail@example.com,1.3093484,10z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x12a46df096713ecb:0xfb5e081215771b2e!8m2!3d41.4347024!4d1.5910701)
- Owner & winemaker: Glòria Garriga & her daughter Berta
- Vineyard area: varying according to the vintage
- Vineyard management: the selected growers they work with are all practicing organics
- Soils: alluvial soil with slate, granite, and quartz; clay and limestone
- Main varieties: Sumoll
- Annual production (approx.): 4,000 bottles
- Winemaking: “long, smooth, slow, and silent”, as Glòria would say. The wine ferments lengthily at a naturally low temperature, using only wild yeast, and ages in neutral clay, concrete, or oak vessels. No fining or filtration.
- Glòria is an agricultural engineer who became horrified by the extreme viticulture techniques she saw all around her and decided to pursue her old dream of living in the pristine nature of Font Rubí
- Together with her husband and daughter, they began a search in 2001 that led them to the very special plots of El Penedès Superior
- Els Jelipins is “a name with feeling, without meaning, magical and strong”
- Sumoll, the grape that all their wines are based on, is a native variety of Penedès; it is drought-resistant, naturally low-yielding, and rather difficult to grow. Once widely planted throughout Catalonia, it was replaced by other varieties in the 1980s, nearly leading to its extinction (with less than one hundred hectares planted in 2013). Thanks to winemakers like Glòria, who appreciates its unique beauty and mineral notes, this trend has changed recently, as growers are starting to recover this variety.